Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Big Easy

I was back in DC for only 36 hours before I had to hop on a flight to New Orleans for a conference. This is the first time I've been back since Katrina, and it feels... strange. Returning to New Orleans felt like returning to the scene of a violent crime, as if the air was thick with ghosts. Even though the French Quarter was mostly spared the worst damage (I'm staying just on the edge, on Canal St), it still feels like there's a sense of unease about the city. Maybe I'm the one who's ill at ease, though, or maybe I'm looking for something that's just not there. I doubt it.

Even sitting here at Cafe du Monde, as I am--eating beignets and drinking cafe au lait--feels somehow artificial and forced. Or maybe life just goes on. I don't know, and I'm not about to ponder it now, because it's a real pain to blog on a BlackBerry. That, and I'm getting powdered sugar everywhere.

No comments: